Friday, September 4, 2009

giant freaking feather

One of the things I am most excited about is my reception look. I'm not changing my dress -- I love my dress too much to take it off after the ceremony. However, I am going to take of my veil and change into a feather headband!

What I am looking for is variously called a fascinator or headpiece, and often comes on a clip, comb or headband.

These are my criteria:

1.) I will be wearing my hair straight and down, so I prefer a headband over a comb. A very sturdy clip would be okay for the perfect feathers, but I really think a headband would stand up to partying much better.

2.) I want it to be big.
Ok, maybe not Carrie Bradshaw big. Maybe not the-whole-bird-on-my-head big (especially because I am looking at ostrich feathers!). But big. Big enough that people are like, "Holy crap, look at that awesome feather headband!" But not so big I look like I am in costume.

3.) Since we don't have much of a color scheme outside of our polar bear stamp/ Met Building walls green, I think I want it to be white.

4.) I want it to be under $100. A lot less, if possible!

I have been looking on Etsy for awhile, and saved these as favorites.

This is the first one I found, $24 on a "small but sturdy clip." Ok. I like it, but it reminds me of a sea creature. Also, do the feathers look cheap to you? They remind me a bit of craft feathers from Michael's.

















This one is $45 and not totally white, but I think light blue is fine. It comes in a clip which is ok. I like the size and level of drama, but I wish it were fluffier, less flat.








This one is also blue, also a clip, and costs $30. And it comes with mystery free earrings! I like the variation in size and texture of the feathers.















This one is a bit more dramatic than I was aiming for, but oh, I love! Maybe I could pull it off! Isn't it delightful? I think I would feel just on top of the world in this. But I wonder if it isn't too much. But then, as soon as I say that, I think: "Too much? Pah! BE BOLD!"

$35 (yes!) on a headband (double yes!).













I love the texture on this one, too. I wish the seller had put it on a model so I could get a sense of how big it is and how it lays on the head. This one is $45 and a comb (boo).














I think this one is cute; more understated. It is more expensive, $78, and a headband. I like it.










What do you think about a giant freaking feather? Does anyone know of other places to buy such an item? Most importantly, which one do you like?

No comments:

Post a Comment