Monday, July 13, 2009

Gonna make you up in my love! (Or in Bobbi Brown, whichever)

I've mentioned before that for better or for worse, I am pretty decisive. My fiance has definitely developed a system he uses to see whether my latest impassioned proclamation is something I conjured up 5 minutes ago or 5 months ago.

However, one thing I am really going back and forth on is what to do about my makeup. Part of my indecision relates to budget: can I afford it? Do I care? Should I do it because it's "my day?" Should I be more conscious of sending my budget out the door because it's "my day?"

Here's the deal: I am pretty okay at doing my own hair, but it is definitely a crapshoot how it will look on any given day, and "crapshoot" is not what I am (ahem) shooting for on my wedding day. So I am hiring the girl who usually cuts my hair to do it.*

I feel even more confident with my makeup than I do with my hair. When I spend the time, I really can do my makeup pretty well. I know that I can get myself through the day without looking like either Tilda Swinton (love her! but she could use a little mascara!) or Tammy Faye (may she rest in peace).

But that is in a day-to-day going to work sense. In terms of "event" makeup, I am not so sure. I know I can apply my eyeliner with a steady hand, but do I know which is the perfect eyeliner to use? Can I keep my skin from being shiny? (Becoming shiny is my skin's life's work.) I feel like even though I can do it, maybe I should find someone who can do it better.

On the other hand, another argument on the side of doing it myself is that I know what I want, and it's not that complex. I have two inspiration photos and that's it:

Don't mind the lady in the lingerie. I don't plan on vamping it up. But I do like the swoopy black eyeliner and strong lip (I will be having a pink color though, not red). I supposed it is a classic 50s style that I am going for, kinda Marilyn. (I know, I know, who doesn't want to look "kinda Marilyn" sometimes?)

I don't know. I have been studying up and bookmarking products that I want to use, but I wonder if maybe I should just give in and have someone do it for me. I didn't really budget for it and I don't really know if I can afford it. Did any of you go back and forth on the makeup issue? Does anyone have anything definitive to say to me about it?


*OK, she has only cut my hair once before, but she is really cute and nice and swears she won't make me look like a prom queen. I decided to hire her on the spot, of course!

No comments:

Post a Comment