Monday, July 13, 2009

Re-enter Xanax

So we went to this totally great wedding on Long Island, the one which I refuse to let be identified as the Bus Mishap Wedding, but just to refresh your memory: yeah, that one.

The wedding was July 11th, and the next morning, July 12th, the bride's mother oh-so casually was like, "Oh, so you guys are five months out, to the day! December 12th, right!?"

SHIT! Can I say that in front of a bride's mother? Can I say that on Weddingbee?

Neither G. nor I had really been paying attention. We got engaged in February, when there were three whole seasons between us and matrimony. Now we are five months out.

We went on with our day, had some good bagels and weird bacon, drove home, whatever. Then at midnight, we were laying in bed, and of course both of our minds started racing with to-do lists. (Why does your mind wait til you're trying to sleep to start racing?)

This is how we have approached the wedding so far: I read Weddingbee every single day, and make mental notes. I deal with the fun stuff, like the dress, shoes, photographer. We deal with the urgent stuff like budgets and guest list. But aside from singlehandedly designing our letterpress STDs, G. has not been suuuuuuper involved.

I guess this "five months" thing got to him. I had a totally bonkers day at work today and was not covering my Gmail with my usual vigilance. I logged on and had three emails from him: one about researching iPod weddings, one about planning the afterparty (priorities!) and one about how he entered into a full-blown panic last night, which I hadn't really noticed.

Wow, all of a sudden he is like, Mr. Wedding. I even went so far as to introduce him to "kvetch" on indiebride, and sent him links to Weddingbee about honeymoon budgets and invitation suites. We have a date later this week to get into super planning mode for the wedding which seems all of a sudden to be around the corner.

What lit a fire under your fiance's ... um.... behind?

No comments:

Post a Comment